Saturday, December 20, 2008

RIP NYC Photographer Paul Hawthorne, 08/11/1967 - 12/20/2008



Entertainment/Celebrity Photographers in NYC should contact Brian Ach and be part of "The Photographer's Project" in Paul's Memory (double click above to read more)


Paul was battling Amyloidosis and passed away this morning from heart failure. He was definitely one of the good guys, always saying things that made me laugh.
We were even neighbors, although briefly, when we lived on E. 10th Street. I remember the first time I saw him there, we both stopped and looked at one another and in this funny voice, he said "yo, ya stalkin' me?" And I repeated it back to him the same way. When he told me he lived at #35, I was shocked and pointed to where I lived, right next door. At the same time, we said "small world, ain't it" and laughed.

These photos were not taken by me, but shows Paul how he was-a fun, down to earth guy.
My deepest condolences to the entire Hawthorne family.
The entire photo community in NYC is grieving for the loss of this great man.


Paul Andrew Hawthorne of Jersey City, New Jersey

08/11/1967 - 12/20/2008

Paul Andrew Hawthorne, 41, of Jersey City, New Jersey, passed away on December 20, 2008, after a courageous struggle with Primary Amyloidosis, a rare blood disorder. He is survived by his wife of 7 years, Amy Lambo Hawthorne, and his parents, William J. Hawthorne and Sandra Shroades Hawthorne of Chester, West Virginia. He is also survived by two sons, Maxwell James Hawthorne, age 4, and Lucas Alexander Hawthorne, 7 months. Paul was a beloved brother to Lori Hawthorne Pietrandrea and Luigi Pietrandrea of Hopewell, PA, William J. Hawthorne, II and Darla Hawthorne of Ambridge, PA, Philip Bradley Hawthorne and Robin Hawthorne of Fleetville, PA, and Anne Hawthorne Miller and Jason Miller of Industry, PA. Paul was a loving uncle to 10 nieces and nephews: Alyssa Pietrandrea, Anthony Pietrandrea, Noah Hawthorne, Emma Hawthorne, Jacob Miller, Jordan Miller, Kyle Miller, Ann Therese Lambo, Paul Lambo, and Joey Mancz. Paul and his identical twin brother, Philip, were born on August 11, 1967 in
Rochester, PA. During his youth, Paul played many sports. He was a member of the Little League champion Industry Yankees and lettered in high school baseball. He was a 1985 graduate of Western Beaver High School and a 1988 graduate of the Art Institute of Pittsburgh. Paul proudly served his country in the U.S. Navy from 1989 to 1993. During his military service, Paul served as a still photographer with the prestigious Combat Camera Group Atlantic, photographing NATO forces during Operation Deny Flight over Bosnia. During Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm, Paul served as a photographers' mate, supervising a team of six photographers aboard the U.S.S. John F. Kennedy. After the Navy, Paul continued his work as a photojournalist working as a staff photographer for the Norristown Times Herald in Norristown, PA, photo chief for the New Castle News in New Castle, PA, international news photo editor for the Associated Press in New York City, staff photographer for Wireimage in New
York City, and staff photographer for Getty Images in New York City. Paul's recent freelance work included regular photo assignments for the New York Times, New York Post and various corporate and media clients in the greater New York area. In addition to his passion for photography, Paul was an avid golfer, a black belt in Kyokushin karate, a lover of hiking, mountain biking and the outdoors, and a terrific cook of delicious, spicy food. He was most proud of his family, particularly his two young sons. Calling hours will be held Tuesday, December 23, 2008, from 2 to 4 and 6 to 8 p.m. in the NOLL FUNERAL HOME INC., 333 Third St., Beaver, where a funeral service will be held on Wednesday, December 24, 2008, at 11 a.m. Interment with full military rites by the Beaver County Special Unit will follow at the Beaver Cemetery. Members of the special unit are asked to gather at the cemetery chapel at noon. Donations may be directed to the Paul Hawthorne Medical Fund at Citizen's Bank in
Pennsylvania or the Amyloidosis Research Foundation http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http://%28www.amyloidosisresearchfoundation.org.) On-line condolences may be shared at http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http://nollfuneral.com

8 Comments:

Blogger Philip said...

Thank you for getting the word out.
I loved my brother very much.

Philip Hawthorne

7:28 AM  
Blogger Melinda Myers said...

What a great guy. I enjoyed working with him. He used to come into the Getty office with his son Max on his shoulders calling him "my little man". It was so special to see the two of them. My heart goes out to him family. What a loss.
Melinda Myers

10:35 AM  
Blogger dbondareff said...

Paul came to my rescue on a shoot about 5 years ago by lending me his back-up Nikon when my camera died. I was always so happy to see him at a shoot. A true gentleman.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Thank you for this beautiful tribute to my brother he was a very special person and will be missed by alot of people I loved him dearly.

Anne Hawthorne Miller

5:09 PM  
Blogger LoriLynn said...

I will echo my brother and sister's comments, by saying too, that I loved my incredible brother, Paul, so very much and he will be greatly missed by all who knew him, because to know Paul was to Love him....and we all did very much.

Lori (Hawthorne) Pietrandrea

6:44 PM  
Blogger russell jung said...

Paul and I trained together in the martial arts. His fighting spirit always impressed me. Paul was also a genuine and honest person whom I respected and admired. I'm just thankful that we got the chance to spend some time together with him before his untimely departure. I will miss you my friend.

Your friend,
R. Jung

4:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Also founding member of Team Hip.

7:23 PM  
Blogger S. Brock said...

Was sad to read this. Paul and I served together in the US Navy. He was already an experienced photographer and I was learning. He was always happy to teach me and to help me get better. I will never forget you.
S. Brock

5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home